Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Frozen Gestures and Reincarnation


Started out the day with a great great discovery, just following ppl down the street and into this great cafe, amazing bakery and great coffee. All the tables and chairs are the old old wood and antiques... love the tone and music here... it will be my hanging out and getting my share of java every morning before I head out...




It was kinda raining the whole day, which gave me a bit of a headache in
the end... I started out wanting to go to New Museum as my first destination.. but then
couldn't resist the call of Soho, so ended up going shopping for ... some odd hours... I find that Uniquo is not as good as before, first because their prices have gone up quiet a bit, and the Tees are not as crazy and unique anymore... a bit disappointed... then got great great finds in the Levi's jeans store, 3 pairs of great jeans for 50 bucks... and of course went to Muji, found this great BLACK raincoat just in case...



Then it really started to rain hard, so I decided it is time for the museum...
The New Museum, just a couple blocks off Soho, with each floor hosting a different exhibition,
which really is not that quiet impressive, given my limited understand of the "new" art...but somethings did catch me though.


On the first floor, it is from Lynda Benglis, the first retrospective in NYC in 20 years who is a real feminist and famous artist... one of the most "signature" thing for her is putting lots and lots of bright color latex on top of each other... making a huge sculpture that is not in her control how it turns out...which can be half the size of a person, frozen in the air... I think I can do that as well if that's call art... but the idea of the "frozen gesture" makes me reflect upon where everyone is frozen in a certain state at each point of their lives, and building on top and on top of it... We get frozen or static without even realizing it, being oxidized and life draining away...
that's pretty interesting.. but she didn't really say it like that.. don't know if it is the intended meaning...just my imagination...



One of my fav. Thai director,Apichatpong Weerasethakul, who have directed films like "Ploy", "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives" that won the Palme d'Or at Cannes last year, and film titles like "The Adventures of Iron Pussy ", how can I pass on his first ever exhibition, "Primitive"... the room is spread into eight films,
following a gang of youth who happen to be able to build a spaceship and can travel back and forth through time, and exploring the personal and political memories of their own identity and of the country... which relates to the military regime of Thailand in the 1970s... it is meant to be a dream like experience, “reincarnation and transformation.”
I have always wondered how I would be like if I am living in another time period, what would I be doing... whom would I have met...
maybe there is another me on the other side of the world right now, living a completely different live... just like in "The Double Life of Veronique" or a different version of my life right now base on different decisions that I made, but he is living on with those consequences... as in "Sliding Doors"



One of my fave bookstore in NYC is the New Museum gift shop, with lots and lots of great art books and films... very interesting topics on things you never thought of, or have thought of and couldn't find anywhere else... got a book about the making of books with different materials like fabrics, silk, many many more... also one that's about using ANY material to turn it into a pinhole camera, like coffee jars, matchboxes, your limit is just your imagination... very cool...
also a book about the resistance art in the Palestine...

No comments: