Monday, August 08, 2005

Bad habits

I was invited to help teach in the children' Sunday School in my church..
even though i don't have that much interest in teaching them..
i went anywayz as an observer before i make my decision..

The class that i went to was one of the toughest age group..
from grade 4 to grade 7..
this group of boys have been going to SS for many years already...
since their parents are all hardcore members of the church..
so they have heard almost every story in the Bible already..
it is really hard to keep their attention..

but yesterday..after observing the SS teacher Cecil...
i can see that he has lots of heart for the children...
he uses every simple words and phrases to send out the message of the Bible..
even i benefited from them..

The topic was Bad Habits..
we all have our own bad habits..
i have tons that wants to get rid of..
but weren't able do so for yrs..

As apostle Paul have said...

"For what i want to do i do not do, but what i hate I do...
For i have the desire to do what is good, but i cannot carry it out.."
(Roman 7:15, 18)

"When i want to do good, evil is right there with me.
For in my inner being I delight in God's law;
but I see another law at work in the members of my body,
waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin
at work within my members."
(Roman 7:21-23)

Then Cecil gave a very good example...
When we create something, if the item is broken and needs fixing
it needs to go back to its creator..

For example, we build a car..
let say the car is not able to start its engine..
the brakes are gone..or have a flat tire..
the car cannot fax itself..
it cannot just jump out and open its own hood and repair itself..
the car needs to go back to its "dealer"
because the dealer knows every part of the car well...
and will be able to fix it in no time..

I guess it is the same with our bad habits..
we always think that we can fix ourselves..
correcting our own bad habits..
like smoking..
we maybe able to quit for a while..
but then maybe after a few wks..
we will be easily hook on it again..

humans are always trying to use their own power to change themselves..
but our power are so limited...
there are lots of things that are just out of our reach...
so the only way really is to depend on God..

I pray that God will give me the power to change my old self..
to be with me all the time to carry me through the dark valleys..

No comments: